Click for Information on Historic Annapolis Building Markers

Information About the Colonial Annapolis Historic District
 A Registered National Historic Landmark

300 Years of History
 
   The Sands House
One of the oldest and most significant frame houses in Annapolis, the Sands House is just a few steps from the City Dock and Market House in the heart of the Annapolis Colonial Historic District.  Built around 1700, the home includes many 17th- and 18th-century features that intrigue architectural historians.  When much of our nation’s heritage is disappearing, the Sands House holds fast to nearly three centuries of history.  Its architecture and contents reflect the change in tastes and life styles of a family, a neighborhood, and a town from colonial days to the present.   More .......
An Eclectic Collection
The Sands House records nearly three hundred years of history within its walls.  The rooms are filled with an eclectic mix of furnishings, personal articles, and practical household items that span seven generations. Each room's contents capture the lives of family members who lived in the house from colonial times to the present.  

The house is a repository of local history and culture.  Its collection of objects, documents, and photographs tells of more than 235 years in the life of a family, a neighborhood, and .  The home’s owners continue the family tradition of caring for and preserving the house, its contents, and the heritage they represent.
Writing Materials
Ink Sander
A sand shaker used to dry ink on a page,  a tinder box and flints for starting a fire, and a  small oil lamp easily carried from room to room are things members of the Sands family used daily in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Tinder box
Camphene lamp
The Sands House
130 Prince George Street
Annapolis, MD 21401

e-mail: Comments@sandshouse.org
© 2006
Historic Annapolis Building Marker
Sands House Late 1800s 
Late 1800s